grub-devel

Re: Google Summer of Code 2007

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:39:44 +0100

Hello!

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 06:36:11PM +0100, Marco Gerards wrote:
> "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:
> > Anyway, our list just shows examples. Students are free to propose new
> > ideas.
> > In addition, we can obtain only one student from the past experience.

One note on that: it seems that this year a much smaller number of GNU
(sub)projects are going to take part.  Compare
<http://gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2006.html> to
<http://gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas.html>.  (Of course, not
everything may be in place yet -- like to Hurd's tasks are still
missing...)  So it might be that the participating GNU (sub)projects
might get more students to work on tasks like they got last year.  Or it
may not.

> > If we
> > are unlucky, we can get zero. So I think it is better not to bloat the list
> > too much, but rather expect that students would think of something
> > interesting themselves.

It may be hard for students (also for capable ones) to come up with
suitable tasks, if they don't have any guide lines.  So, I think it's
helpful to publish quite a number of ideas.  _Then_, the students can
still modify them as it suits them.

> Last year it looked like the number of projects assigned and the number of
> mentors a project had, had a certain relation.  Of course, because
> GRUB is a part of the GNU project, this relation might not be true for
> GRUB.  And this is mainly based on rumors from last year...  Perhaps
> people can confirm this?

I can't really support that statement, but then, I only know the number
of the GNU project.

Regards,
 Thomas