grub-devel

Re: NESTED_FUNC_ATTR (was: Re: iso9660 support)

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: NESTED_FUNC_ATTR (was: Re: iso9660 support)
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:49:53 +0200

> On Friday 15 October 2004 03:16, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> > So why not just stop using -mregparm=3?  I'm pretty sure it isn't
> > needed in GRUB, since a boot loader doesn't have very high
> > performance constrains.
>
> It is necessary for the size constraint. Note that we don't need to use
> the same binary between the real GRUB and the emulated one. And, the
> emulation is only useful for debugging. So if grub-emu is difficult to
> maintain, I vote for just dropping it.
>
> Okuji

No, it isn't. I think grub-emu is important for example for saving
default menu entry mechanism or so. I also thought that grub-setup will
be replaced by install mechanism which will be in grub (and grub-emu).
And I think, that in such case will be less confusing, when there will
be one binary (module) for both grub-emu and grub (boottime).

So, what is the size constraint? Is it for machines with small stack?
If so, do we recurse so deep somewhere?
--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik