grub-devel

NESTED_FUNC_ATTR (was: Re: iso9660 support)

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: NESTED_FUNC_ATTR (was: Re: iso9660 support)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:20:42 +0200

> I do not know what NESTED_FUNC_ATTR do or is good for, but I guess it
> is needed for all nested functions.  I could of course be wrong.  If
> I'm right, I think I saw another function (that currently is somewhere
> in my kill-ring) without the attribute (lua_read or something.)

The NESTED_FUNC_ATTR is need for buggy versions of gcc, because we
compile i386 grub (bootime) with mregparm=3. And there are versions of
gcc that don't save content of one of registers when calling such
function or something similar.

My opinion on mregparm=3 is not good, because this is only obstacle (and
it is BIG obstacle) to use same modules at boottime and in posix-userland.

--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik