grub-devel

Re: NESTED_FUNC_ATTR (was: Re: iso9660 support)

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: NESTED_FUNC_ATTR (was: Re: iso9660 support)
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:37:05 +0200

On Sunday 17 October 2004 20:49, Tomas Ebenlendr wrote:
> No, it isn't. I think grub-emu is important for example for saving
> default menu entry mechanism or so.

I don't agree. Please look at GRUB legacy. It does not use the grub
shell to save a defaule entry.

> And I think, that in such case will be less confusing,
> when there will be one binary (module) for both grub-emu and grub
> (boottime).

I don't think so, because grub-emu is useful only for developers.
Ordinary users don't care.

> So, what is the size constraint? Is it for machines with small stack?

No. This is the same as GRUB legacy. We want to use free space right
after the MBR, but this region is quite small (normally, 31KB). I
reduced the binary size very seriously to make core.img fit in this
region, and I don't want to give it up.

Okuji