grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] ASFLAGS and CFLAGS

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] ASFLAGS and CFLAGS
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:36:57 +0000

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

> On Oct 16, 2004, at 4:34 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:
>
>> Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I haven't yet resolved the genmk.rb issues with listing grubof in
>>> sbin_UTILITIES. We don't want grubof to be an "IMAGE", as that does an
>>> objcopy -O binary. So I think a new class is required in genmk.rb...
>>> perhaps called pkgdata_ELF or so.
>>
>> Perhaps you can prevent that when using the proper LDFLAGS for grubof
>> only.  I prefer that over what you did in this patch, if that also
>> fixes the problem.
>
> I don't understand. There are a few problems:
> - -msoft-float is missing from COMMON_CFLAGS

I think the best thing is to add this until all code depending on this
is removed.

> - COMMON_ASFLAGS contains C-specific flags (-nostdinc -fno-builtin)

This is just copied from i386-pc.rmk.  I assume there was a good
reason for this so I copied this.  Please leave it there unless there
is a good reason to remove it or Okuji says it is not required.

> - COMMON_CFLAGS contains assmebly-specific flags (-D__ASSEMBLY__)

This is a stupid copy-paste mistake from me.

> My patch addresses all three problems, with the caveat that
> COMMON_ASFLAGS is not actually used yet. To use COMMON_ASFLAGS, we
> need to fix genmk.rb. Changing LDFLAGS would have no effect on the
> problems listed above.

The problem I talked about is that COMMON_ASFLAGS is not used.  You
are right genmk.rb might need to be fixed, I do not know.  But using
pkgdata_IMAGES would be the right thing to do, AFAIK.  The best thing
to do is fixing both issues.

Thanks,
Marco