Re: Cannot find the module of ?pfbtops"

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: Cannot find the module of ?pfbtops"
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 12:22:06 -0500

On Mon, 02 Dec 2019 16:19:09 +0000
Deri <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mageia, which is based on RedHat, there are five rpms:-
>
> groff
> groff-doc
> groff-for-man
> groff-perl
> groff-x11

Wow, what a waste of effort.  The whole of groff weighs in at a handful
of megabytes, a rounding error for Firefox or TeX.

I imagine the theory is not to minimize storage, but to avoid
dependencies.  Yet I have to wonder how many Perl-free systems there
are, and where the demand comes from for groff-without-Perl.  Ditto for
X.  ISTM you either want minimal troff support, to view man pages in a
terminal, or you want to be able to examine typeset output in the GUI.

Of course, if you're on the packaging team, and want to make claims
about the number of supported packages, then 5 is better than 1 or 2.

--jkl