Re: Cannot find the module of “pfbtops"

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: Cannot find the module of “pfbtops"
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 23:28:09 -0800

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, wong kevin (address@hidden) wrote:

> Thanks Damian for the reply. I think it's not the 'psutils'
> package, actually 'pfbtops' is a part of 'Groff' package
> (refer to:  https://www.mankier.com/1/pfbtops ). I have
> installed the 'Groff' package as described by
> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/
> lfs-museum/5.1-pre1/LFS-BOOK-5.1-PRE1-HTML/chapter06/
> groff.html, but I'm not sure why only a part of it was
> installed. I got some information that someone also
> encountered the same problem
> (https://github.com/UCL-RITS/rcps-buildscripts/issues/163 ),
> but this guy didn't show how to solve this problem.

You are right that pfbtops is part of the Groff distribution.

My experience with Groff as provided by most distros is that there
is a "base Groff" package, which is installed by default.  This is
useful only for building man pages.  For a full Groff
installation, you'll need to pull in all the other groff-*
packages.  However, their version of Groff is likely to be several
years out of date.  (The current version of Groff is 1.22.4.)  IMO,
your best bet for installing Groff is to download it from the
official GNU site, and build it on your system.  The GNU Groff
page is:

    <https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/groff.html>

and the download page is:

    <https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/groff/>

I can't help you with EPACTS, I'm afraid, so I'll just wish you
good luck with it.  :-)

Anyway, I hope this helps.

--Dale

--
A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five!