Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 00:14:56 +0200

Hi Ralph,

On Sun, Sep 28 2014 at 07:33:03 PM, Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Bertrand,
>
>> Massaged path:
>>     /usr/etc/X11/%L/%T/%N%C%S:
>>     /usr/etc/X11/%l/%T/%N%C%S:
>>     /usr/etc/X11/%T/%N%C%S:
>>     /usr/etc/X11/%L/%T/%N%S:
>>     /usr/etc/X11/%l/%T/%N%S:
>>     /usr/etc/X11/%T/%N%S:
>>     /usr/share/X11/%L/%T/%N%C%S:
>>     /usr/share/X11/%l/%T/%N%C%S:
>>     /usr/share/X11/%T/%N%C%S:
>>     /usr/share/X11/%L/%T/%N%S:
>>     /usr/share/X11/%l/%T/%N%S:
>>     /usr/share/X11/%T/%N%S:
>>     /usr/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%C%S:
>>     /usr/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%C%S:
>>     /usr/lib/X11/%T/%N%C%S:
>>     /usr/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%S:
>>     /usr/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%S:
>>     /usr/lib/X11/%T/%N%S
>>
>> It seems that the path /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults is no longer
>> used,

Note that when I rebuilt libXt, I passed --prefix=/usr but omit to pass
--sysconfdir=/etc, that's why we have /usr/etc/X11 instead of /etc/X11,
I would expect most of the libXt packaged on various distro to have
/etc/X11/, /usr/share/X11 and /usr/lib/X11 as default paths.

>> Thus, if I call 'gxditview' freshly installed from groff sources, the
>> file installed in /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults/GXditview is not
>> found.
>
> Does `install' make all those directories or does
> /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults exist and what else is in it?

On my system, /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults does not exist. groff's
'make install' creates all these directories.

>> So it seems to me that we should move GXditview into
>> /usr/share/X11/app-defaults/
>
> Seems fair enough to switch to x.org's default, though it might create
> work for packagers;  that might be taking out what they had to override
> groff's default.

As long as we keep the --with-appresdir option, packagers would not have
extra work. As said previously, Arch linux uses
--with-appresdir=/usr/share/X11/app-defaults, and it seems that Debian
(https://packages.debian.org/jessie/groff) passes
--with-appresdir=/etc/X11/app-defaults to configure.

Bertrand Garrigues