Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 18:33:03 +0100

Hi Bertrand,

> Massaged path:
>     /usr/etc/X11/%L/%T/%N%C%S:
>     /usr/etc/X11/%l/%T/%N%C%S:
>     /usr/etc/X11/%T/%N%C%S:
>     /usr/etc/X11/%L/%T/%N%S:
>     /usr/etc/X11/%l/%T/%N%S:
>     /usr/etc/X11/%T/%N%S:
>     /usr/share/X11/%L/%T/%N%C%S:
>     /usr/share/X11/%l/%T/%N%C%S:
>     /usr/share/X11/%T/%N%C%S:
>     /usr/share/X11/%L/%T/%N%S:
>     /usr/share/X11/%l/%T/%N%S:
>     /usr/share/X11/%T/%N%S:
>     /usr/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%C%S:
>     /usr/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%C%S:
>     /usr/lib/X11/%T/%N%C%S:
>     /usr/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%S:
>     /usr/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%S:
>     /usr/lib/X11/%T/%N%S
>
> It seems that the path /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults is no longer
> used,

Yes, though I've a vague idea of being on old systems where /usr/X11 was
a symlink to .. so /usr/X11/lib/X11 became /usr/lib/X11.  :-)

> Thus, if I call 'gxditview' freshly installed from groff sources, the
> file installed in /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults/GXditview is not
> found.

Does `install' make all those directories or does
/usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults exist and what else is in it?

> "Since the default location for app-defaults files in X.Org 7 is now
> /usr/share/X11/app-defaults [...]"
>
> Finally.  http://www.faqs.org/faqs/x-faq/part2/section-22.html says:

I expect the FAQ hasn't been edited in a long time.

> So it seems to me that we should move GXditview into
> /usr/share/X11/app-defaults/

Seems fair enough to switch to x.org's default, though it might create
work for packagers;  that might be taking out what they had to override
groff's default.

Cheers, Ralph.