Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 11:35:26 +0200 (CEST)

>>>  - it prefers /usr/local/bin/gsed over /usr/bin/sed
>>>
>>>  - it prefers /usr/local/bin/bison over /usr/bin/yacc
>>>
>>> Prefering the GNU versions over the native POSIX versions is bad
>>> because it causes needless build dependencies.

Mhmm.  I don't find Ingo's arguments really convincing, but he has a
point that this preference should be documented somewhere, giving the
user (or packager) a possibility to override it.  groff is a GNU
package, and *of course* it prefers GNU sed and GNU bison over non-GNU
tools!  In particular, you can be sure that you get predictable,
repeatable builds.

> For end-users, it compromises predictable, repeatable builds.

I think exactly the opposite.