Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:17:28 +0100

Hi Ingo,

>  - it prefers /usr/local/bin/gsed over /usr/bin/sed
>
>  - it prefers /usr/local/bin/bison over /usr/bin/yacc
>
> Prefering the GNU versions over the native POSIX versions is bad
> because it causes needless build dependencies.

If both are available, and the code that uses them is compatible with
either, why does it matter if the GNU version is used?  It may be it's
faster, or gives better errors during development over, say, an ancient
yacc.  I don't see it's a build dependency if it's happy using the
non-GNU versions when they are the only ones available.

Cheers, Ralph.