Re: <OK> [Groff] Changing font in ".FG"

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: <OK> [Groff] Changing font in ".FG"
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 10:29:04 -0400

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 12:20:25PM -0400, Randall Allemang wrote:
> I am a casual user of release 1.18 and would like to change the font in the
> figure title macro ".FG" . it is currently Times Roman and the normal font
> registers used by headings and other macros don't seem to have any effect.
> I have read through the pertinent sections of the MS and MM macros and also
> looked through the TC and EQN references.
>
> As always, it will probably be a pretty simple fix or reference but I am at
> a loss to  figure it out.
>
> Help!
>
> Randall J. Allemang, PhD
> Professor of Mechanical Engineering
> Director, Structural Dynamics Research Lab
>
> 685 Rhodes Hall, University of Cincinnati
> Cincinnati, Ohio  45221-0072
>
> TEL:  513-556-2725
> FAX:  513-556-3390

I find that this works, especially if you simply want to format in
something other than the Times fonts:  R I B .

Using groff -mm

        .fp  1 H
        .fp  2 HI
        .fp  3 HB
        .ftr R H
        .ftr I HI
        .ftr B HB
        .DS
        Fig test
        .FG "Fig test caption"
        .DE

See  .fp  and  .ftr  in  groff(7) .

It shouldn't take both  .fp  and  .ftr  to make the change but
looking into the  /usr/share/groff/1.18.1/tmac/m.tmac , I find that there
both references to fonts by position and by hard-coded R I B names.

I'll take on the task of rationalizing that someday soon.

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems

 973 822-2085   call to arrange Fax