Re: [Groff] add extra footer with running page numbers

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] add extra footer with running page numbers
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:26:33 +0100

Hi Jeremy,

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> > If you're using groff's man macros, try running groff with
> > "-rC1", e.g.,
> >
> >   [stuff] | groff -Tps -man -rC1 >output.ps
>
> Thanks. I now see that documented in the groff_man(7) manual. But the
> version I have says "If more than one manual page is given on the command
> line, ..." -- but you don't have to list them on the command line. I did:
>
> cat man8 | xargs cat | tbl | groff -Tps -man -rC1 > output.ps
>
> And that worked for me -- the page numbering didn't reset. (man8 is a
> small list of file names.)

But it didn't really work with more files.  Try really giving them on
the command line.

    groff -t -Tps -man -rC1 `cat man8` >output.ps

This works for me:

    groff -Tps -man -t -rC1 \
        <(zcat ls.1.gz) <(zcat mv.1.gz) <(zcat cmp.1.gz) >/tmp/man.ps

so if you've uncompressed man pages to start with then you should just
be able to do the `cat man8` as I've shown above.

Cheers,

Ralph.