[Groff] how to change the number of columns for utf8 device

From: zhangweiwu
Subject: [Groff] how to change the number of columns for utf8 device
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 22:42:23 +0800

Hello. TFM has been very long, I read it through only once and later
come to it only to do the search for keyword. This time this method
doesn't work, I could not find out how to define the number of columns
(number of characters in a row) for utf8 output device.

And google fail me again, it always produce information related to tbl
which has "real" columns.

Besides, is it possible to do 2-column page layout with utf8 device?
Like this one (read it on wide screen, sorry but this is the only thing
close I can produce:

address@hidden:Readings$ groff -ms -Kutf8 -Tutf8 < study.roff | head -n 190 |
tail -n 50 |awk 'FNR > 25 {print l[FNR-25] " | " $0;} FNR <=25 {l[FNR] = $0;}'
  is  a  little  queer  in his ideas — an enthusiast in |   Afghanistan to last
me for the remainder of my  natu‐
  some branches of science. As far as I know  he  is  a |   ral  existence.
How  could  I  meet  this  friend of
  decent fellow enough.”                                |   yours?”

  “A medical student, I suppose?” said I.               |   “He is sure to be
at  the  laboratory,”  returned  my
                                                        |   companion.  “He
either avoids the place for weeks, or
  “No  — I have no idea what he intends to go in for. I |   else he works there
from morning till night.  If  you
  believe he is well up in anatomy, and he is a  first‐ |   like, we will drive
round together after luncheon.”
  class  chemist;  but,  as far as I know, he has never |
  taken out any systematic medical classes. His studies |   “Certainly,” I
answered, and the conversation drifted
  are  very desultory and eccentric, but he has amassed |   away into other
channels.
  a lot of out‐of‐the‐way knowledge which would  aston‐ |
  ish his professors.”                                  |   As we made our way
to the hospital after leaving  the
                                                        |   Holborn,  Stamford
gave  me  a  few more particulars
  “Did  you  never ask him what he was going in for?” I |   about the gentleman
whom I proposed to take as a fel‐
  asked.                                                |   low‐lodger.

  “No; he is not a man that it is  easy  to  draw  out, |   “You  mustn’t blame
me if you don‘t get on with him,”
  though  he can be communicative enough when the fancy |   he said; “I know
nothing more  of  him  than  I  have
  seizes him.”                                          |   learned  from
meeting him occasionally in the labora‐
                                                        |   tory. You proposed
this arrangement, so you must  not
  “I should like to meet him,” I  said.  “If  I  am  to |   hold me
responsible.”
  lodge  with anyone, I should prefer a man of studious |
  and quiet habits. I am not strong enough yet to stand |   “If we don’t get on
it will be easy to part company,”
  much  noise  or  excitement.  I had enough of both in |   I answered. “It
seems  to  me,  Stamford,”  I  added,

--
Real Softservice

Huateng Tower, Unit 1788