Re: [Groff] patch for pdfroff

From: Nick Stoughton
Subject: Re: [Groff] patch for pdfroff
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:38:18 -0700

> > I also see in your latest patch the part
> >
> >         exec > $PDF_OUTPUT
> >
> > Its obvious intention is to open the output file and redirect the later
> > '-' (stdout) to it.  Does this work with every Bourne type shell?

It should work in every Korn shell derivative, including ksh, pdksh,
ash, bash, and zsh. It is a requirement of the POSIX shell (see
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/exec.html). It
also works in the Heirloom Bourne shell
(http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/sh.html), and was at least documented
as doing this in the 1979 7th Edition Bourne shell (the original Bourne
shell), so I guess it is safe to assume that this works pretty much
everywhere!