Re: [Groff] patch for pdfroff

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] patch for pdfroff
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:14:08 +0100

On Sunday 30 July 2006 4:03 pm, Keith Marshall wrote:
> > I'd fix that sed script myself if I had a faintest idea how to
> > reliably distinguish a valid embedded EPS from a blank page.
>
> The problem with this sed script was that it would delete EVERYTHING
> from the `%%Page: n n' marker record for a new page, down to the first
> line of PostScript code following the associated `%%EndPageSetup'
> marker, if it matched the regular expression `0 *Cg *EP' ANYWHERE
> within that line range.  Clearly, this was too greedy a match
> specification, which could remove page headers where they should have
> been retained, potentially even leading to an invalid PostScript output
> stream.
>
> I've now tightened the requirement...

But not tightly enough, for it failed my `teapot' test,  to the extent
that sed would hang, or segfault, while trying to parse the embedded EPS
photographic images.  This too is now fixed in CVS.

For anyone who fancies an amusing read, the `teapot' test source is
attached; you need the latest CVS pdfroff to format it:

  pdfroff --no-toc -ms teapot.ms > teapot.pdf

Regards,
Keith.