Re: [Groff] patch for pdfroff

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] patch for pdfroff
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:15:22 +0100

On Sunday 02 July 2006 8:56 pm, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
[re: suppression of blank page elimination in pdfroff output]
> > `--no-kill-null-pages' option, which will allow this filter to be
> > explicitly disabled; (I've already begun to prepare this, and will
> > commit both patches together).
>
> This is much better idea.
> I should have done that in the first place.
> But that still requires keeping that script in a sort of a string
> variable the way my patch did it or using if-else statement with and
> without script which looked a little clumsy to me (so I opted for a
> string variable solution).
> I wonder how do you plan to do it?

By using a conditionally substituted shell variable, as in this commital:

2006-07-14  Keith Marshall

        * pdfroff.sh (PDFWRITE): Local shell variable replaced...
        (PDFROFF_POSTPROCESSOR_COMMAND): by this new  environment
variable...
        (GROFF_GHOSTSCRIPT_INTERPRETER): with this bound to it.
        (PDFROFF_COLLATE, PDFROFF_KILL_NULL_PAGES): New environment
variables.
        (--no-kill-null-pages): New command line option; implement it,
and...
        (--help): Add description for it.

        * pdfroff.man (PDFROFF_POSTPROCESSOR_COMMAND): Document it.
        (PDFROFF_COLLATE, PDFROFF_KILL_NULL_PAGES): Document them.
        (--no-kill-null-pages): Document it.

2006-07-14  Zvezdan Petkovic  <address@hidden>

        * pdfroff.sh (--emit-ps): New command line option; implement it.
        (--help): Add description for it.

        * pdfroff.man (--emit-ps): Document it.

> I also see in your latest patch the part
>
>         exec > $PDF_OUTPUT
>
> Its obvious intention is to open the output file and redirect the later
> '-' (stdout) to it.  Does this work with every Bourne type shell?

AFAIK, yes.  However, I don't have many variants on which I can test, so
if you discover or know of a problem, please let me know.

This particular construct has been used elsewhere within pdfroff, and
also in our nroff script, for some time now, with no complaints to date.

Regards,
Keith.