[Groff] Re: hyphenation and encoding - was: Composed glyphs - quick and

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: hyphenation and encoding - was: Composed glyphs - quick and dirty solution
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:20:17 +0100 (CET)

> > Currently, there are no changes w.r.t. hyphenation.  Just take,
> > say, ruhyphal.tex and use a bunch of .hpfcode lines to map its
> > koi-8 encoding to iso-8859-5.  Then set up iso-8859-5 as the input
> > encoding as usual.
>
> Why "a bunch" of .hpfcode lines?

The hyphenation patterns in the `ruhyphen' bundle are in koi8
encoding, and koi8 can't be used by groff because it uses characters
in the range 0x80-0xA0 which are not supported by groff.

> It seems groff(7) and groff_diff(7) disagree about argument(s) of
> hpfcode.

groff_diff is right.  Thanks for mentioning it; I've just fixed it in
the CVS.

> And how can it be done? There are files for koi8 and cp1251 input
> (ones with lot of trins),

Well, the default bundle of groff doesn't come with koi8 support.

Hmm, I've just looked up the definition of koi8-r, and it should be
possible to use the subrange 0xA1-0xFF, which covers the Cyrillic
characters.

> What about hcode?

Where's the problem?

> Can UTF or groff names uXXXX be used for hcode and hyphenation
> files?

Currently not.

> PS It is koi8-*, not koi-8!

Hehe.  OK, will try to remember.