RE: [Groff] Re: Composed glyphs - quick and dirty solution

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Re: Composed glyphs - quick and dirty solution
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 20:34:49 -0000 (GMT)

On 04-Mar-06 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> Why the skew is computed for 'x' and not for accent glyph ('\\$2')?
>
> Again, I've no idea :-) The code snippet was taken from ps.tmac,
> without analyzing it in detail.  I've simply forgotten how it works.

The answer here is (or should be) that if you place an accent
over a "skew" character (e.g. italic), you need to offset it
slightly to the right so that it is above the top side of the
glyph and not the horizontal mid-point (which is what would
happen without taking account of skew). So you need the skew of
the "under" glyph to compute this; and the skew of the "over"
glyph is (in most cases) not relevant.

Without this, "italic c circumflex", say, might not look too bad;
but "italic l circumflex" would look terrible.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861