[Groff] Re: PS fonts with CC lines in AFM

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: PS fonts with CC lines in AFM
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:04:09 +0100 (CET)

> >> Are there Courier/Helvetica/Times versions with CC lines?
> >
> > Yes.  All files have `CC' lines.
>
> Can you check the actual font files (pfb/pfa) for presence of glyphs
> described in CC lines?  For if the real composed glyphs are not
> there, characters with both C and CC lines are not to be included
> into charset section of groff font file and afmtodit has to be fixed
> in this respect.

Yes, I think so, but this is nothing to worry currently.  :-)

The only standard Type 1 font I've access to is Courier*.pfb (in
TeXLive), and the AFM file I'm using (from TeXLive too) is completely
incorrect!  If you run t1disasm on the files you can easily see that,
for example, `zdotaccent' is in the PFBs but missing in the AFMs.  It
also contains a `zcaron' glyph that is marked as `CC' in the AFM.

It seems that the AFM files describe some special stripped-down
versions of the standard fonts.  Very strange.  I hope that Ken Lunde
(or someone else from Adobe) can shed some light on this topic.