[Groff] Re: PS fonts versions

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: PS fonts versions
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 08:58:22 +0100 (CET)

> The main problem (for me) is that I can not find a standard document
> with font metrics information.

What exactly do you mean with this sentence?

> On the other hand, I do not know what is the "typical" state of core
> fonts support?  Can we count on 315 glyphs being present by default?
> Are there many old fonts in use (both in printers and in computers)?
> But it may be irrelevant, since we are working for the future and
> the trend seems to be to embed all fonts.

Actually, I don't consider the whole issue as very urgently because
until now noone has reported problems w.r.t. missing characters in the
standard PS fonts.  On the other hand, there are probably just a
handful Turkish groff users which use the original PS Adobe fonts
together with groff.

> What about having default font family describing PS fonts with PS 2
> character set and an option to switch to PS 3 fonts?

Mhmm.  I have no opinion here.  It certainly means more work, and I
don't have time to do anything into this direction.

> May be URW fonts are to be distributed with groff and (optionally)
> downloaded by grops.

Uh, no.  I don't want to distribute real fonts with groff which are
available elsewhere.  People who write Debian or RPM-Packages might
add proper dependencies on various font packages.