[Groff] Re: PS fonts versions

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: PS fonts versions
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 06:42:36 +0100 (CET)

> > Actually, I don't consider the whole issue as very urgently
> > because until now noone has reported problems w.r.t. missing
> > characters in the standard PS fonts.  On the other hand, there are
> > probably just a handful Turkish groff users which use the original
> > PS Adobe fonts together with groff.
>
> Agreed, but since core PS fonts seem to be rather stable (even
> unlikely to ever change) the problem seems better sovled in "Do it
> once following standarts and forget forever" way.

I fully agree.  Let's see what Ken can provide.

> Sorry, there already is psold.tmac:
>     Macros to disable use of characters not present in older
>      PostScript printers (e.g. 'eth' or 'thorn').

OK.  It's fine with me to update the metrics, and some users can test
whether all fonts display fine -- one of them is me, owning a ten
years old Apple laserwriter which...

> >> May be URW fonts are to be distributed with groff and (optionally)
> >> downloaded by grops.
> >
> > Uh, no.  I don't want to distribute real fonts with groff
>
> Metrics only?

As an add-on package.  BTW, it might be a good idea to add comments to
the devps font description files, giving the version and origin of the
used AFMs.