[Groff] Re: PS fonts versions

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: [Groff] Re: PS fonts versions
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:34:32 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Werner,

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

one more reason for you to consider regenerating fonts for devps.
CR font now has Idot.
This is a very good argument I wasn't aware of.  Are there newer AFM
files for the other fonts too?

A good question.

On one hand, there are 35 URW PS 3 fonts (original, without Cyrillic).
They are urw-fonts on CTAN (base35.zip file).
Or, as originally deonated to ghostscript - ghostscript-fonts-std-6.0.tar.gz
There is even ready script to make groff fonts from them:
http://lists.ffii.org/archive/mails/groff/2002/Apr/0032.html

But 14 Adobe fonts may be more standard and
Core14_AFMs.tar has the same widths, much the same bboxes plus
much more kern pairs.

But I do not know where to find AFM's for other PS3 Adobe fonts
(Palatino etc.). May be some old printer CD, Adobe Type Manager
or FontFolio.

The main problem (for me) is that I can not find a standard document
with font metrics information.

On the other hand, I do not know what is the "typical" state of core
fonts support? Can we count on 315 glyphs being present by default?
Are there many old fonts in use (both in printers and in computers)?
But it may be irrelevant, since we are working for the future and the trend seems to be to embed all fonts.

What about having default font family describing PS fonts with PS 2
character set and an option to switch to PS 3 fonts?
And PS 3 fonts - one family of 14 from Adobe (enough for manuals),
 other of 35 from URW?
May be URW fonts are to be distributed with groff and (optionally)
downloaded by grops.

       Sincerely, Michail

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/pdf/Core14_AFMs.tar
ftp://cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/urw/base35.zip
ftp://math.ras.ru/pub/tex/nonfree/support/ghostscript/AFPL/gs650/ghostscript-fonts-std-6.0.tar.gz