[Groff] Re: PS fonts versions

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: [Groff] Re: PS fonts versions
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:09:53 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Werner,

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

The main problem (for me) is that I can not find a standard document
with font metrics information.

What exactly do you mean with this sentence?

Some authoritative text saying something like
"any PS 2/3 printer/implementation should have
14/35/136 fonts with (at least) the following
character sets AND METRICS".

In the Adobe docs I have seen references to
sets of fonts, character sets - but not metrics.
Thus metrics are less standardized.

You yourself are now inquiring from Adobe pundits
what are metrics for standart 35 fonts for Postscript 2 and 3.
Or may be you will get metrics for all 136 PS 3 fonts!
(Not that they are likely to be of much use nowdays,
 but the fact of posessing the ultimate knowledge gives
 at least some warm feeling ;)

         Sincerely, Michail
PS.
 I agree that the discussion is somewhat out of proportion to
 the importance of the issue.