Re: [Groff] Re: man page encoding

From: Andries Brouwer
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: man page encoding
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 20:35:12 +0200

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:54:40AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> >    .\" t  -*- coding: EUC-JP -*-
>
> What's the `t'?

I muttered that there already are various conventions for
stuff that has to be on the first line. One of them is the
old convention that if the first line has '\" t or '\" e
or so, the formatter tbl or eqn is to be invoked before feeding
stuff to groff.

Bruno replies that there is no conflict: both t and coding
can be on the first line. Ugly.

Let me stress two other things, one of them repeats what
I said yesterday or so. If there is a pipeline, then earlier
stages in the pipeline already need the character set.
So, conversion may have to be done before the input reaches
groff.

And that also brings up a different point. If I have a file
that has topline -*- coding: EUC-JP -*- and I feed it to
a program like iconv, must that program change the topline?
Very, very ugly.

All the best - Andries