Re: [Groff] Re: man page encoding

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: man page encoding
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:44:45 +0200 (CEST)

> So - we now get a new converter, not iconv, but a special-purpose
> gpreconv filter.  It knows that it is converting things that will
> later be fed to groff.  Pity. Where is my beautiful Unix?

Uh, oh, let me try to explain again: gpreconv won't have any effect if
your document is already converted to UTF-8, and if you explicitly set
groff's input encoding to utf-8.

> This converter may change the sequence of symbols in the file, not
> only the representation of these symbols. Ach.

Well, I don't think that converting to \N'...' will be in the final
version.  This is Bruno's current solution to overcome groff's
restriction of 202 input characters.

> Does gpreconv also know whether groff will be called with the -C
> option?

Of course.

> Is it not far simpler to document that groff must be called with a
> file coded in ASCII or Latin-1 or UTF-8?

This is far too simple.  We like it more complicated.