Re: [Groff] Re: man page encoding

From: Zvezdan Petkovic
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: man page encoding
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:12:33 -0400

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 03:36:07PM +0200, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> I am not really aware of use of groff other than as a backend to man.

Now, you are a little upset with Bruno's response, so you are sending a
little jab.  Nice.  Some people never heard of TeX either and they think
Word (or OpenOffice) is the best thing after the sliced bread.

That doesn't diminish them in my eyes either.
Everybody should use what they feel the most comfortable with.

However, to make you aware of some uses of groff, other than man pages,
I suggest you take a look at the colophon of all O'Reilly books,
excluding only those in the last couple of years).  You'll find there
the information that each one of them has been translated from format X
to groff and then printed.  In the last couple of years they switched to
FrameMaker apparently.

You can find the list of other publisher books published in troff or
groff on troff.org too.  It includes all books by Brian Kernighan (does
"The C Programming Language" rings a bell), Bjarne Stroustrup (C++),
Marshal Kirk McKusick ("The Design and Implementation of 4.4BSD" and
recently FreeBSD), and W. Richard Stevens (Unix network programming).
And we are talking about serious publishers here: Addison-Wesley,
Prentice Hall, ...

That's hack of a use other than man pages.