Re: [Groff] goodbye to the groff list

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Groff] goodbye to the groff list
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:47:33 +0100

On 2004-04-22 09:21:15 +0100 Jim Reid <address@hidden> wrote:

The list's mail system is inadequate. Take a look at the mail headers
in the most recent virus/worm message. There's no Message-Id, a good
indication the message is bogus.

Yes, this is a theory that I have come to, too.

This tells us that the SMTP connection came from 213.139.47.21 and
that reverse DNS for this IP address doesn't work. That's another good
indication of a spam source.

No, getting prompt reverse DNS from many ISPs here is tricky, believe me. It's a very unreliable indicator.

The more important point is the mail administrators at ffii.org aren't
doing a good enough job. Nobody seems to be able to do anything about
that.

I think we only identified the real problems in the last few days. Before that, it was mostly more heat than light.

[...] Roger has volunteered
to provide a new home for the list. We should take up that very kind
offer and abandon the ffii.org list to get clogged with spam and virus
crap.

If this list becomes hosted on LSoft Listserv, which was broken last I saw and legally forbids being fixed, then I for one will not subscribe. This problem is partly caused by non-free software inadequacies, so it seems stupid to use more of it.

I want to try fixing ffii.org before junking it.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden