Re: [Groff] goodbye to the groff list

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] goodbye to the groff list
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:40:37 -0400

I am writing to let you know I will be signing off of the groff list
later today. The postings I have recieved today are all viruses - no
content. This situation has gotten steadily worse over the past couple
of weeks until I can no longer tolerate it.

Even at its worst, I never thought it was overwhelming -- maybe five
messages per day -- and (at least here) it's not nearly as bad as it
was a couple of weeks ago. I think my ISP is cutting off many of them
before they can reach me.

Everyone has an opinion about where the spam is coming from,
mine is that someone *subscribed to the groff list* is infected and
unknowingly sending the viruses. My reasoning is that viruses
sent to the groff list (that I've seen, anyway) are sent using the
names of well-known listers (such as Werner or Ted Harding) --
and the way these things work is that they read the victim's
address book to get addresses to send & forge. I was also under
the impression that messages from non-subscribers got diverted
to the list owner for vetting.

Having said that, everyone has their own level of tolerance. The
traffic here has been low enough that I can ignore the junk, others
may be seeing more than I do for various reasons. I hope you
will check in from time to time, anyway.
--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"