Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing

From: Stewart Russell
Subject: Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:28:25 -0400

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/utp/

Am I right in recalling that there is an on-going effort by people on
this list to OCR, or equivalent, these images?

well, I tried to start something when I was at Collins, but it didn't get very far as Real Work got in the way.

If there's a page on progress, or how to volunteer, I'll put the details
on troff.org.

One thing that could usefully be done is to convert the individual pages into a single optimised (g4 fax) TIFF, and convert that into a PDF of usable size. I have the tools (and maybe even the result file) somewhere.

If there isn't, anyone got any ideas about how to start?

Since there's a dearth of useful OCR software for the Unices, it might be an idea to register with DocMorph (http://docmorph.nlm.nih.gov/docmorph/) which provides free OCR services. Though I've scanned and OCR'd several books, it might be an idea to talk to folks from the BookPeople list, who do this sort of thing all the time. Several of them run collaborative keying projects, and have handy hints.

 Stewart