Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 09:17:18 -0400

Bernd Warken <address@hidden> wrote:

> There seems to exist some need for a groff document on macro programming;
> the wish for such a documentation was uttered already several times.
> So we should start a project for a new groff manual with the subjects
> - macros with ancient troff
> - macros with the full power of groff

I'm not so sure that writing macros for ancient troff is all
that important... although I assume that those continuing to
use it are maintaining legacy documents using existing macro
packages.

> - dirty tricks

Definitely. Can one write a major package without a few dirty
tricks? :-)

> - lots of examples.

Fortunately, the groff distribution comes with plenty of examples. ;-)
I'm about to shovel another up to the list.

> This document should first be written as a plain text file.  Later on,
> we will decide on which macro package should be used.  `mom' could be
> a good choice, just to get the package tested on a real-world project.

What? Trying to avoid religious wars? And that reminds me, I
have mom on my drive but not unpacked & installed yet. I need
to have a look at her. The groff.texinfo manual has some macro
writing info already, but it's definitely not a tutorial.

--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the