Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 22:27:47 -0400

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Having just finished downloading pbm.tar.gz I'd welcome a 23MB file.
> O'Reilly currently have
>
>     -rw-rw-r--   1 100      38056077 Sep 12  2001 pbm.tar.gz
>     -rw-rw-r--   1 100      220112017 Sep 11  2001 pdf.tar.gz
>
> Anyone have experience of DjVu?  It claims to be ideally suited to this
> kind of thing.

I also downloaded the PBM archive (overnight on a dialup).
I'm viewing it thus:

        cd chXX
        gunzip *
        kview * &
        gzip *

Kview is nice in that pressing PageDown opens the next file,
which is quite appropriate for this purpose.

Quite a bit of the book is outdated, but I'd probably buy an
updated copy (and I'm going to poke around in used bookstores
for a bargain on the original). It might be worth transcribing.
If everyone takes a chapter, and transcribes a page per night,
we could have most of it done in a couple of weeks. Having done
a bit of transcribing myself -- a 210-page novel I wrote by
hand in college -- I can say it isn't that difficult. Even
better, none of you need be subjected to my horrible handwriting.
Those who don't have the time probably know teenagers who wouldn't
mind making a few bucks while improving their typing skills. :-)

--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the