gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Get fix mode with disconnect antenna

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Get fix mode with disconnect antenna
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:11:28 -0800

Yo Yakov!

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:58:42 +0200
Yakov Shmulevich <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > You don't understand me, I disconnect the antenna, so at this time
> > > the PVT data by sure changed.
> >
> > Are you sure?  Do you see that in the debug output?  Most GPS will
> > just stop sending anything when they lose the antenna.
> >
> I run gpspipe at this  time and see all periodical NMEA messages come.
> And in the GGA message I see GPS Quality Indicator=0 (Fix not
> available or invalid)

Can you make a copy of the gpspipe output and annotate it with the
remove event?

> More then, if I reconnect my client by gps_close() and gps_open() I
> got gpsdata.fix.mode = MODE_NOT_SEEN.

Good.

> But if I not reconnect my client I continue to get MODE_3D

Expected, that means you client has cached the last state.

> > > But I got the data as before disconnecting antenna, include
> > > gpsdata.fix.mod=MODE_3D.
> >
> > Is so, we need to see some debug output to see what is happening.
> >
> What debug print you need? I can run the gpsd with -D 7 and send you ?

gpspipe will do to start.

> > > I found the workaround, but it seems me very ugly.
> > > Now every time that I want to get PVT data, I open the session by
> > > gps_open(), and after I get the PVT data I close the session by
> > > gps_close(). Also this solution have some strange behavior - I
> > > found that after gps_open() I get right PVT data only after 3-5
> > > gps_read().
> >
> > Sounds like you are not starting gpsd with -n.  Can you confirm how
> > you are starting gpsd?
> >
> gpsd -b -n /dev/ttyUSB1

That is good, except we discourage the use of -b.  That is intended mostly
for broken bluetooth GPS.  Why are you using that?

Not knowing what you are doing in the gps_read() it is hard for us to
comment.  Can you see this behavior in cpgs or gpspipe?  Something we
can duplicate?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588