gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Get fix mode with disconnect antenna

From: Yakov Shmulevich
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Get fix mode with disconnect antenna
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:58:42 +0200

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo Yakov!

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:15:15 +0200
Yakov Shmulevich <address@hidden> wrote:

> You don't understand me, I disconnect the antenna, so at this time
> the PVT data by sure changed.

Are you sure?  Do you see that in the debug output?  Most GPS will
just stop sending anything when they lose the antenna.
I run gpspipe at this  time and see all periodical NMEA messages come.
And in the GGA message I see GPS Quality Indicator=0 (Fix not available or invalid)
More then, if I reconnect my client by gps_close() and gps_open() I got gpsdata.fix.mode = MODE_NOT_SEEN.
But if I not reconnect my client I continue to get MODE_3D

> But I got the data as before disconnecting antenna, include
> gpsdata.fix.mod=MODE_3D.

Is so, we need to see some debug output to see what is happening.
What debug print you need? I can run the gpsd with -D 7 and send you ?

> I found the workaround, but it seems me very ugly.
> Now every time that I want to get PVT data, I open the session by
> gps_open(), and after I get the PVT data I close the session by
> gps_close(). Also this solution have some strange behavior - I found
> that after gps_open() I get right PVT data only after 3-5 gps_read().

Sounds like you are not starting gpsd with -n.  Can you confirm how you
are starting gpsd?
gpsd -b -n /dev/ttyUSB1

RGDS
GARY