Re: The messenger service is ready to use

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: The messenger service is ready to use
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 17:42:01 +0100

On Sat, Mar 06, 2021 at 04:09:17PM +0100, TheJackiMonster wrote:
> I'm not currently sure if we should use JSON (which is more common in
> current web) or use PSYC (which would be more efficient). The service
> itself should allow both, so this would probably be something to decide
> on application level.

Being common is not of particular use actually. The ability to
properly maintain semantics is relevant and another aspect came
to my mind: the way you can throw any binary blob into it without
further processing -- so having a meme gif or a profile jpeg
doesn't require any conversion or reference to out-of-band
storage.

> About secushare: I am probably going to look into the protocol of
> secushare again before implementing the client-side library, so there
> won't be too many problems making both compatible in the future.
> However I can't tell currently if the protocols work together or the
> traffic can be handled. I still need stress-tests. ^^'

The relevant concepts here are how everything is a pubsub channel,
profiles are aggregations of pubsubs and any pubsub can scale
up to endless amount of users by multicast distribution (unlike
those dirty hack pubsubs like PubSubHubbub or IPFS pubsub).

> Also it may be possible to get the client-side library compatible with
> Telegram for example but I would first look into getting applications
> done with less features. If we have proper interfaces we can think
> about compatibility. ^^'

I was thinking of leveraging the fact that people *also* need
Telegram and would possibly appreciate a Telegram client which
*additionally* supports GNUnet for actual private chat.

Considering also that Telegram will start putting advertisements
into large channels… so people will have an interest in
migration but remain backward compatible. Therefore having
yet another messenger isn't as interesting as offering a
full service slide from current to next generation messaging.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
   //  http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/