Re: The messenger service is ready to use

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: The messenger service is ready to use
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 09:46:21 +0100

That sounds pretty awesome!!! Does it also work in the wild
or only within testbed simulations? Does it have any sorts
of server component or does it manage to distribute state
in the gnunet?

The feature list sounds a lot like things that were supposed
to go into secushare but we didn't get there because we weren't
able to create stable communication channels between endpoints
to even start working. Excellent stuff.

> The library will probably handle more advanced messages based on JSON
> or some similar text-based format to allow adding features more
> dynamically. So the service itself does not have to be changed to
> frequently.

As the inventor of PSYC I am of course biased, but the rest of
secushare usually agrees with wanting to employ PSYC instead of
JSON as it is more efficient in both performance and bandwidth
and provides for helpfully richer semantics (concepts like
'method inheritance' for instance). libpsyc comes with a nice
benchmark that shows and explains how and why PSYC performs better.

The code in GNUnet which has 'psyc' in its name was created in
a PSYC-oriented spirit, but it doesn't actually implement the
PSYC wire encoding. libpsyc is the implementation that does the
equivalent to JSON or XML.

> Also with JSON messages it should be quite easy getting a good
> interface done to web clients as well and the messages could include
> more meta-data for something like posts in social media or forums.

The implementation could also be Telegram-server compatible so
that we can reuse this or that existing client and merely need it
to connect localhost rather than the builtin IP numbers.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
   //  http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/