Re: [GNUnet-developers] Network load of Gnunet

From: Glenn McGrath
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Network load of Gnunet
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:40:20 +1100

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:51:06 -0800
"Jan Marco Alkema" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have one file shared on mine ADSL server. I haven't download much on
> mine ADSL server for at least a week. I don't think someone else
> downloaded mine shared file (cdfoon).
>
> The network load on mine ADSL server is 854,416/3 =284 Mb/day. See
> appendix for the details.
>
> In mine point of view gnunetd should not have a lot (for instance 284
> Mb/day) of network load in idle situation. See it like the load of a
> "NTP demon". Only if I want to download a release of a distribution
> the network load should rise. The zipped (and encrypted) files of the
> release I don't have locally are send to me on a "peer to peer" basis.
> In "the database" every one should be able to check what files I have.
> They don't have the query on a "free format" manner like gnutella.

I am a bit surprised by the network use as well, some extracts from my
stats.

p2p queries/Uptime = 1.48 Queries per second.

I have 26 hosts in data/hosts, which means each host on avarage is
hosts is making a query every 17.6 seconds.

There were 530MB trasfered which is 2.3kB/s, of this only 60MB is p2p
CHK
content, 48MB is noise

I only did a couple of searches (although client queries says 35), and i
have content migration tuned on.

Seems like there is lots of none-node talk.

Glenn