Re: "Academic qualification" classification

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: "Academic qualification" classification
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 01:24:55 +0100

Antenore wrote:
> Regarding the doctor, doctoral, doctorate disambiguation I think that
> it's wrong at all, also in English.
>
> Please take a look on this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctorate
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dottorato_di_ricerca
>
> In every country we have a different "meaning" or better, a different
> path to follow and at the end a different title.
>
> This "doctoral" -> Dottorato (literally) that you probably mean could be
> translated as "ricercatore" ("""researcher""").

Is it possible to have a common "Academic qualification" classification to all
countries around the world?  Is it difficult to translate it?

My personal English-classification-proposal was, from lower to higher:

  1. Undergraduate
     He is studying yet at the University.

  2. Graduate
     He has finished 3 years of University and get a diploma.

  3. Postgraduate
     He has finished 5/6 years of University and get a diploma.

  4. Doctoral
     He has finished 5/6 years of University and got his diploma. However
     he get into a investigation group and finish his investigation
     thesis and get another diploma.

  There are people who do not go to the University. They can use the
  "Other" option.

The current translations are:

  English:
    1. Undergraduate
    2. Graduate
    3. Postgraduate
    4. Doctoral
    *. Other

  German
    1. Student
    2. Absolvent
    3. Doktorand
    4. Doktor
    *. Andere

  Spanish:
    1. Estudiante universitario
    2. Ingeniero técnico o Diplomado
    3. Ingeniero o Licenciado
    4. Doctorado
    *. Otro

  French:
    1. Bac
    2. Licence
    3. Master
    4. Doctorat
    *. Autre

  Italian:
    1. Diplomato (secondary school)
    2. Laureato (Bachelor)
    3. Dottore (PhD)
    4. Ricercatore (Doctorate/Doctoral)
    *. Altro

  Portuguese:
    1. Bacharel
    2. Licenciado
    3. Mestre
    4. Doutor
    *. Outro

  Russian:

IMHO, the Antenore's idea of adding parenthesis with text to try to
disambiguate is good.