Re: "Academic qualification" classification

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: "Academic qualification" classification
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 01:37:14 +0100

Antenore wrote:
> Regarding the doctor, doctoral, doctorate disambiguation I think that
> it's wrong at all, also in English.

I think both Antenore and MJ agree about the current classification not being
the right one. It is not a translation problem but a classification one:

  English:
    1. Undergraduate
    2. Graduate
    3. Postgraduate
    4. Doctoral
    *. Other

The Bologna process tries to create the European higher education area by
making academic degree standards
  Ref.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_process

[...] there will also be a greater convergence between the U.S. and Europe as
European higher education adopts aspects of the American system.
  Ref.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_process#Goals

1st cycle: Bachelor's degree
2nd cycle: Master's degree
3rd cycle: Doctoral degree

  Ref.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_process#Framework

Therefore, maybe the classification could be:

  English:
    1. Enrolled at a University
    2. Bachelor's degree
    3. Master's degree
    4. Doctoral degree
    *. Other

  Spanish:
    1. Estudiante universitario
    2. Ingeniero técnico o Diplomado
    3. Ingeniero o Licenciado
    4. Doctorado
    *. Otro

  Italian???:
    1. Diplomato (Secondary School)
    2. Laureato (Bachelor)
    3. Dottore, Ingeniere (PhD, Master)
    4. Ricercatore (Doctorate/Doctoral)
    *. Altro

I am not sure. I am reading yet. I hope add more information and proposals
this weekend.