Re: GNU Herds' host -- email and email list configuration

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: GNU Herds' host -- email and email list configuration
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:09:21 +0100

Ward Vandewege via RT wrote:
> I've configured
>     ns1.gnu.org
>     ns2.gnu.org
> with a basic zonefile for gnuherds.org: an A record pointing to the new
> machine, and MX records pointing to the GNU mail servers (see below).

I do not see the MX records!
   dig @ns1.gnu.org gnuherds.org
   dig @ns2.gnu.org  gnuherds.org

Should something like DomainKeys or SenderID be added to avoid rejected emails
and spam?  What is the GNU sysadmin police about this?

    gnuherds.org.       IN   TXT  "v=spf1 a mx ~all"
    mail.gnuherds.org.  IN   TXT  "v=spf1 a -all"

> > * email server, to manage the gnuherds.org MX
> >   Note: We have been using postfix.
>
> Maybe we can just use the existing gnu.org mailservers for this. It
> would simplify the setup. What do you think?

I have installed postfix to get out, from the _gnuherds_ host, the emails
which the own webapp send.

Let me know if you think something must be modified.

> > * mailman, to manage the address@hidden email list.
>
> We may want to consider adding this list to lists.gnu.org, so we don't
> have to run mailman on the gnuherds.org domU.

We know MailMan can serve mailing lists for several domains at the same time;
e.g. '@gnu.org', '@nongnu.org', '@gnuherds.org', etc., without having the
same list name in multiple domains.

Will lists.gnu.org manage the 'association@' list?
  address@hidden
        or
  address@hidden ?

Else we should install MailMan in the gnuherds host and add the
lists.gnuherds.org to the DNS server. Isn't it?

IMHO, if it is possible, the best option should be add
'address@hidden' to lists.gnu.org

Let us know if we are wrong,
Davi