[gnu.org #342287] Re: [GNU Herds]: hosting at the FSF ?

From: Ward Vandewege via RT
Subject: [gnu.org #342287] Re: [GNU Herds]: hosting at the FSF ?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:43:01 -0500

Hi there,

> address@hidden - Tue Jan 22 20:25:43 2008]:
> Ward Vandewege via RT wrote:
> > Sorry this took so long. I've just created a Xen domU for gnuherds,
> at
> > 140.186.70.27.
>
> To centralice the service at your hosts, we think besides updating the
> gnuherds.org IP we should take this opportunity to update the name
> servers.
> The current ones are:
>
>   NS.25THANDCLEMENT.COM
> > not serving gnuherds.org due to lack of sysadmin time.
>
>   NS2.LEALS.COM
> > working right now, but could go down due to power cut.
>
> Could you supply us two name servers to use? So we can update both the
> IP and the name servers at the same time?

Yes, that's no problem. I've configured

  ns1.gnu.org
  ns2.gnu.org

with a basic zonefile for gnuherds.org: an A record pointing to the new
machine, and MX records pointing to the GNU mail servers (see below).

Once we are ready to switch over, you can just update the nameservers
for the domain to ns1.gnu.org and ns2.gnu.org

> > How do you want to do the migration?

Do you have a sysadmin who wants to do this work? If so, I can give you
ssh access to the box.

> 1.- Install the required packages (see below).
>
> 2.- Install the service:
> >   http://savannah.nongnu.org/cookbook/?func=detailitem&item_id=155
>
> > We will complete the guide with the exact steps
> > to intall the "GeoLite Country" software too.
>
> 3.- Migrate the service data:
> 3.1.- Data base content
> >     psql gnuherds < load_backup_data.sql > stdout 2> stderr
> 3.2.- Members' photos
> >     We will supply you the tar.ball when you ask for it.
>

> If you have any problem with the above guide, you can let us know so
> we can update it.
>

> > What packages do you need to be installed?
>
> * Apache
> * PHP >= 5.1
> * Smarty
> * Smarty-Gettext
> * GeoLite Country (It is Free Software)
> * gettext
> * PostgreSQL >= 7.4.x

See my separate message about GeoLite Country.

> * Git client to update the software from the Savannah repository. An
>   update will be needed when the translations be worked out.
>
>   We do not know if it is usual you add a cron job to checkout
> automatically from Savannah, so reducing the maintenance workload for you?

Sure, we can do that.

> * email server, to manage the gnuherds.org MX
>   Note: We have been using postfix.

Maybe we can just use the existing gnu.org mailservers for this. It
would simplify the setup. What do you think?

> * mailman, to manage the address@hidden email list.
>   We do not know yet if it will be possible migrate the emails
>   already subscribed to such list.

Importing a bunch of email addresses into a new mailing list is easy, so
that should not be a problem.

We may want to consider adding this list to lists.gnu.org, so we don't
have to run mailman on the gnuherds.org domU.

> We hope do not forget nothing. In that case we will note it to you.
>
> Let us know if we can help you, or if you have any question, etc.

Let me know if you have someone who wants to be the sysadmin for this
machine. This would help us - we have a lot of work already so it would
be nice if one of you wanted to take on the main responsibility for the
sysadmin work for gnuherds.org.

Thanks,
Ward.

--