gnu-system-discuss

Re: Why don't gnu.org and RMS sign mail?

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Why don't gnu.org and RMS sign mail?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 04:49:27 +0300

Alexandre François Garreau <address@hidden> wrote:
> Le samedi 9 novembre 2019 23:32:59 CET, vous avez écrit :
>> Alexandre François Garreau <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Note signing can be avoided with effective spf policy.
>>
>> No, it can not.  SPF has nothing to do with message headers.  Itʼs an
>> antispam measure, that can help to detect fakes when one tries to fake a
>> domain name of his _SMTP-server_ (e. g. claim that his 89.184.73.65 is not
>> nvs406.mirohost.net but fencepost.gnu.org), but our impostor have not
>> bothered to do it.
>
> It is both meant to authentify IP adresses and domains.  So
> nvs406.mirohost.net instead of fencepost.gnu.org stays invalid as of strict
> SPF policy (if DMARC asks to enforce it).

Ah, so itʼs not SPF-only but DMARC/SPF.  Then yes, of course.  But...

>> GPG can be avoided by choosing DKIM instead (+ optionally a DMARC policy),
>> but this _is_ a cryptographic signature.
>
> That’s why I didn’t talk about it.

...unfortunately, strict DMARC that relies only on SPF without DKIM is nearly
unusable for anyone who wants to use mailing lists: remailed message is no
longer originated from, say, fencepost.gnu.org but from a listserver, and
signature that could be used to prove the authenticity in the other way, is
absent.