gnu-system-discuss

Re: Why don�¼t gnu.org and RMS sign mail? (was: Testing new mail serve

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Why don�¼t gnu.org and RMS sign mail? (was: Testing new mail server)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 07:44:25 +0100

* Richard Stallman <address@hidden> [2019-11-01 03:22]:

> I can't use GPG agent.  The reasons are long and complex.

Somebody can make your settings such that you do not need to enter
passphrase, it would be kept in the file or provided as a string on
command line.

--passphrase-file file

Read the passphrase from file file. Only the first line will be read
from file file. This can only be used if only one passphrase is
supplied.  Obviously, a passphrase stored in a file is of questionable
security if other users can read this file. Don't use this option if
you can avoid it.

Note that since Version 2.0 this passphrase is only used if the option
--batch has also been given.  Since Version 2.1 the --pinentry-mode
also needs to be set to loopback.

--passphrase string

Use string as the passphrase. This can only be used if only one
passphrase is supplied. Obviously, this is of very question‐ able
security on a multi-user system. Don't use this option if you can