Re: [gNewSense-users] Youtube.

From: Marek Buras
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Youtube.
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 07:20:36 +0200

Hi Daniel!

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:04:52AM -0400, sam2025 wrote:
> What is the difference between Icecat and Iceweasel? And which one
> would you recommend.

Icecat is a part of GNU project and Iceweasel is developed by Debian
developers. Icecat does not try to install any non-free extensions nor plugins
and its developers won't recommend to you such a thing. It contains some
extensions that will increase your privacy (such us HTTPS Everywhere)
or will block non-free javascript code (LibreJS).

Iceweasel developers sometimes don't care about those issues hence the
differences between browsers. However, both are derived from the same source
code, so you won't experience much differences. I used to recommend Icecat and
in gNewSense I use our modified Iceweasel and sometimes Icecat that I compiled
myself from sources available at http://www.gnu.org/s/gnuzilla/.

> I tried installing Icecat 17 locally and ran into some compilation
> errors (comas at the end of enums) and later it failed stating that
> some "dbm" were missing (probably missing dependency, haven't looked
> into it).

There may be problems on gNewSense 2.3 because the software in this version is
quite old. At some point I installed my own libraries in /usr/local/cfr/lib and
told configure to use them. These days I use Parkes and my life is much easier
;-)

If you want to play with compiling IceCat, there is an article on our Wiki:
http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/IceCat
Maybe you will find some information there. It has been updated recently.

> Not sure if I want to spend time troubleshooting it or try Iceweasel
> or something else... I also like Youtube:)
> thanks

Sometimes it's good to spend some time to gain more experience and knowledge ;-)
And it's obvious that there are more interesting resources on the web than
Youtube ;-)
I recomend looking at: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ - this may be quite
insightful.

--