Re: [gNewSense-users] Cyrillic presentation in gNS wiki

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Cyrillic presentation in gNS wiki
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:10:01 +1030

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:16:38 +0100
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz schreef:
> >> I also stumbled upon some interesting comments to consider before
> >> using UTF-8 (in scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php):
> >>
> >>      This script configures PmWiki to use utf-8 in page content and
> >>      pagenames.  There are some unfortunate side effects about
> >> PHP's utf-8 implementation, however.  First, since PHP doesn't
> >> have a way to do pattern matching on upper/lowercase UTF-8
> >> characters, WikiWords are limited to the ASCII-7 set, and all
> >> links to page names with UTF-8 characters have to be in double
> >> brackets. Second, we have to assume that all non-ASCII characters
> >> are valid in pagenames, since there's no way to determine which
> >> UTF-8 characters are "letters" and which are punctuation.
> >
> > That sounds like a problem.
> > Guess we'll have to look into encodings that are not utf-8.
> > I have a test wiki here, but its a different version to the current
> > live site (i'll need to setup a copy of the live site pre testing
> > all these settings out).
> > kk
> >

> So you want to separate the wiki into parts with different encoding?

No, its not practical to do so.

> Sounds like about as much trouble as moving to utf-8 with it's
> problems. I guess it also depends on whether those issues could break
> the wiki or merely be an inconvenience.

It seems like quite an inconvenience (which has to be balanced against
the inconvenience of having a screen full of HTML codes i suppose).
I'm mildly worried about the security issues of having pmwiki assume
all input characters are legit. Hope that's been taken care of in code
though.

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au