Re: [gNewSense-users] Cyrillic presentation in gNS wiki

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Cyrillic presentation in gNS wiki
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 20:50:43 +0100

Dmitri Gabinski wrote:
Hi!

I cannot understand, how I can contract the site admin(s), so am posting here.

When trying to edit Russian wiki pages (via Firefox 3.1 beta2, if that matters), I encounter the following problem: Cyrillic characters are replaced with HTML surrogates, thus becoming such chains as Для удаления и Editing is is way too labor-consuming and you cannot, for example, use spell check.

Look, it’s the XXI century, why not use Unicode?

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski

I agree that applications that still can't handle Unicode are very annoying. However, it looks like your problem is not Pmwiki's fault. If you force the text encoding for the wiki to UTF-8 in your browser, the characters will not be transformed to HTML entities. That's not the solution, though, because then the text looks messed up in its default encoding.

The problem is that the wiki is served with a charset of ISO-8859-1 in the HTTP headers. So all the content up until now has been entered in that encoding. If the server configuration would be changed to UTF-8, all the content would have to be converted to that as well. I don't know how difficult that is, but as you point out, the wiki can't sanely be edited in non-ASCII character sets without such a switch.

Maybe Brian can shed some light on this?