Re: [gNewSense-users] Cyrillic presentation in gNS wiki

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Cyrillic presentation in gNS wiki
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 00:18:48 +1030

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:41:36 +0100
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sam Geeraerts wrote:

Hi both.

PmWiki is configured to use ISO-8859-1, because that's its default
configuration (And I suspect people with funny encoding weren't on
Brians mind when he set it up :P)

> >> The problem is that the wiki is served with a charset of
> >> ISO-8859-1 in the HTTP headers. So all the content up until now
> >> has been entered in that encoding. If the server configuration
> >> would be changed to UTF-8, all the content would have to be
> >> converted to that as well.
> >
> > I did some research: apparently the conversion can be done with
> > recode [1].

Thanks for your looking into this.

> > There's also a PmWiki recipe to convert input on the fly [2], but I
> > think it's only useful if the content is already in UTF-8. It seems
> > intended to catch input from a browser that is forced to another
> > encoding (or one that can't handle UTF-8).
> >
> > [1] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/UTF-8
> > [2] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/UTF8Conv

We seem to have two options with PmWiki when it comes to charset to use.
Here's a snippet from our config:

$WikiTitle = 'PmWiki';
$Charset = 'ISO-8859-1';
$HTTPHeaders = array(
  "Expires: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 00:00:00 GMT",
  "Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate",
$CacheActions = array('browse','diff','print');

I can change either or both of these, but I'm not sure what the
consequences would be ...

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au