Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash + Ubuntu: alive?

From: Richard Wilbur
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash + Ubuntu: alive?
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:32:13 -0600

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 01:44 +1200, Parker Jones wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just a note to inform you that Gnash isn't working for Ubuntu
> long-term support release (Hardy).  For instance, it isn't able to
> play youtube videos, which I understand it should be able to do.  I
> have reported it on Ubuntu's bug tracker, Launchpad, but no sign of
> life.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnash/+bug/361656
>
> It's a shame as it gives a negative impression of Gnash for those
> trying it out on Ubuntu.
>
> Keep up the good work guys,
> Parker

I installed Gnash from the Applications->Add/Remove... and noticed it
did not install the Mozilla plugin.  Had to run Synaptic to get the
plugin.  Now I am able to run things such as the animation of peak oil
at [1].  But I still can't watch the YouTube Swedish Chef "Meatballs" at
[2] or even the target swf [3].  Probably need a newer release of Gnash.

The Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) repositories currently have gnash 0.8.2
which was announced 'By rob at 2008-03-27 10:46'.  According to the
documentation (v0.8.4) [4],
        "Since the 0.8.2 release, Gnash includes initial parser support
        for SWF v8 and v9."

>From further down the same page,
        "Gnash has included video support since early 2007, but this is
        an ever changing field of reverse engineering. Many of the
        popular video sharing sites use SWF v8 or v9, which Gnash
        supports imperfectly. This is improving all the time, so often
        builds from a development snapshot will work when using the
        older release packaged in your distribution doesn't."

You would be a candidate for the Firefox plugin install offered at
v0.8.4 [5].  It doesn't appear to currently be available.

Mr. Savoye:  You were working on the gnash.xpi Firefox plugin recently.
What ever became of that effort?

One other question Parker:  Do you have the gstreamer ffmpeg codecs
installed?  Namely, 'gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg'.

Sincerely,

Richard Wilbur