Re: [Gnash-dev] GNASH contribution

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] GNASH contribution
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:36:11 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 22.01.2009, 23:14 +0100 schrieb Bacem BERGAOUI:
> this is what I did until now:
> - I Downloaded Gnash-source 0.8.4, I compiled it, test it
> successfully.
> - I get the latest sources from bazaar repository, but I was not able
> to compile it.

You should be able to compile bzr trunk. If you run autogen.sh, and
configure gives no errors, then any compile failure is a bug. If you
report it, it will be fixed.

> Is it possible, using the log output, to locate the source cpp file
> that causes the bug. If not, what can I do to reproduce a bug and
> locate it's cause ? (decompile the SWF or write my own action Script
> file ...)?

There are lots of ways of debugging, though often it's hard work to find
bugs in some SWF file you find on the internet. Decompilation is
possible with ming (listswf_d), editing SWFs is possible with swfmill
and flasm, and creating testcases is possible with all the tools used in
the Gnash testsuite.

Sometimes it's easier to test systematically, sometimes to examine and
change 'real life' SWFs until you find the bug. If you submit a bug
report at https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnash it will get more
attention.

Running gnash with verbosity set to 2 (or -vv on the commandline) should
give an indication of what the problem is (unimplemented or error
messages). Turning on SWF error and actionscript error reporting, as
lots of people do, is generally unhelpful as it obscures the useful
messages.

bwy

--
Yes, YouTube does work in Gnash