Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 01:29:29 -0700

> > Do you mean sites like pbskids.com?
>
> Nope, I mean *free* flash movies.

Unfortunately, people browse to arbitrary places on the Web, and don't
notice that their experience has been corrupted by dependence on
proprietary nonstandards like Adobe Flash.  And their kids rate the
OLPC, based on whether it can play the games that they are already
used to playing on web sites.  Many of which use Flash for eye candy
(kids love candy).

> Is there a collection of such apps distributed with the OLPC ?

There is a small collection of educational apps (they call them
"activities") distributed with the OLPC.  More can be downloaded
from http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities .  None of them are based
on Flash.  Some are Python, some are C, some are C++, some are
Smalltalk.

I don't think I've ever seen a decent Flash authoring environment for
Linux (one where you could drag stuff around and out pops an animation).
Got one handy?  You might get more free OLPC Flash movies as a result.

> I dubt the intended audience would easily have bandwith to reach
> pbskids.com anyway..

90,000 OLPC laptops were sold in the US and Canada.  (I know the US is
way behind most of the world in high speed net access, but most kids
have at least a megabit.)  There are 100,000 going into Uruguay --
with Internet access.  Most of the 240,000 going into Peru will have
Internet access, though some will only have sneakernet.

Most places on earth now have Internet access near.  The countries that
are spending for laptops for their kids are also tending to spend for
Internet to make those laptops ten times as useful.

        John